Re: Preventing toggling off minor modes in nxhtml mumamo chunks

From: Niels Geuts
Subject: Re: Preventing toggling off minor modes in nxhtml mumamo chunks
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:01:09 -0700 (PDT)

Niels Geuts wrote:

>> I want to use several minor modes in several nxhtml mumamo chunks, but
>> the
>> minor modes are toggled off in those chunks. What can I do to prevent
>> that?

<SNIP>

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> Look in mumamo.el. There is a comment for "Minor Mode Authors".

mumamo.el:

;;
;; * For functions entered to local hooks use this
;;
;;     (put 'FUNSYM 'permanent-local-hook t)
;;     (add-hook 'HOOKSYM 'FUNSYM nil t)
;;
;;   where HOOKSYM is the hook and FUNSYM is the function.

This did not do the job:

(put 'linum-mode 'permanent-local-hook t)
(add-hook 'nxhtml-mode-hook 'linum-mode nil t)

But this did:

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'linum-mode 'auto-fill-function)

However, this solution did not work for longlines-mode, which I use as well.
I now use the following less satisfying solution:

(add-hook 'nxhtml-mode-hook 'longlines-mode)
(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'longlines-mode)

I don't understand the difference in behaviour these two minor-modes
exhibit, but with no doubt this will be due to my limited understanding of
Emacs. Any comments would be welcomed.

Niels