Re: Emacs 23.0.60 on Mac OS X

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.0.60 on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:36:55 +0200

Am 16.08.2008 um 18:05 schrieb Patrick Mahan:

I did -

   defaults write Emacs Emacs.background black
   defaults write Emacs Emacs.foreground mediumspringgreen
   defaults write Emacs Emacs.cursorColor yellow

Presumingly wrong symbols. I am using different ones:

    Background = CMYK3c6b3f25;
    Foreground = MidnightBlue;
    "border.attributeBackground" = turquoise1;
    "calendar-today.attributeBackground" = LightSkyBlue1;
    "comint-highlight-prompt.attributeBackground" = FloralWhite;
    "comint-highlight-prompt.attributeForeground" = DarkViolet;

And I was wrong when I told you that the preferences file is Emacs.plist. It's indeed the name you mentioned, org.gnu.Emacs.plist. I use default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist in ~/.emacs while the preferences list is kind of a toy (at least necessary to re-set the "modifier" keys). But when launching

        /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -q &

I can see the preferences in action.

The *Help* description on the *-frame-alists might be a bit confusing when referencing the term "X resources." The actual X resource is for example just the word "background" or "cursorColor." The prefix "Emacs" is useful in an environment where X resources for more than one application are loaded into the X server resource database utility xrdb. Then one needs to make a difference between a setting for application A and one for application B. This is done by the prefix. (Or, in X, by using X resources files with different names, names that equal the applications' names.)

To achieve a real dark and unergonomic background you can also use the --reverse-video or -r or -rv option on the command line ...

I see in the Message buffer the following:

  'Unable to load color "darkblue"'

The file Emacs.clr contains two writings for this colour: "DarkBlue" and "dark blue" – maybe here's the reason for the complaint. You know that you can select colours from the Mac OS X colour chooser?

This message shows up even if I start it with '--no-init-file'.

So it's in the preferences list.

Is there anything short of rebuilding with some debugging enabled to diagnose this?

I don't know! What's possible is to rename the preferences list and then launch Emacs.app as

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs-init- test.el &

where ~/.emacs-init-test.el is a file with some settings as in ~/.emacs. While you are editing this file in one Emacs.app you can launch a second one to test the settings. To make debugging a bit easier you can insert a few ELisp statements like this

        (message "line #... in ~/.emacs-init-test.el")

Note: the Emacs manual include with the release still references
the older file under the "Mac OS" section.

*I* made the mistake of telling you the wrong file name!

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the weak."