Re: google search result differ in Opera and w3m

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: google search result differ in Opera and w3m
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:41:17 +0200

    Xah> Anyone reproduce? I'm suspecting this is w3m bug or the w3m-mode bug?
    >>
    >> You can reproduce the two different results if you call your browser with
    >> or without the quotes `"' surrounding your query expression, which are
    >> translated to `%22' at the beginning and end of the string sent to the
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> So I think you call emacs/w3m with and firefox without them.

    Xah> This is kinda odd. The double straight quote needs to be part of the
    Xah> search.

    Xah> In OSX 10.4.11, in Safari, Opera, Firefox (all latest public version),
    Xah> they all return mulitple results with the following line on top:

    Xah> «Information No results found for "The computer wizards at Industrial
    Xah> Light and Magic help alchemize".

    Xah> Results for The computer wizards at Industrial Light and Magic help
    Xah> alchemize (without quotes):»

    Xah> in w3m and icab, they give just 1 result.

    Xah> So, perhaps somehow when google search automatically switch to a non-
    Xah> exact-phrase search when the exact-phrase search got only one result?
    Xah> But this couldn't be because some FF in linux apparantly return just 1
    Xah> result from exact phrase search too.

Hi,

I can't reproduce your problem.

If I type your query with quotes (`"The computer wizards at Industrial Light and
Magic help alchemize"'), I get one result (as expected) in epiphany, firefox and
emacs/w3m and w3m. If I type it without quotes (`The computer wizards at
Industrial Light and Magic help alchemize'), I get many results---nothing
unexpected here.

If I paste your URL
(`http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The%20computer%20wizards%20at%20Industrial%20Light%20and%20Magic%20help%20alchemize%22')
in a browser or call the browser with your URL as argument from the command
line, again I get one result---with all my browsers.

If I remove the quotes, translated to `%22', at the beginning and end of the
search phrase
(`http://www.google.com/search?q=The%20computer%20wizards%20at%20Industrial%20Light%20and%20Magic%20help%20alchemize'),
I get many results---again as expected.

I can't reproduce your claim that with the *same* string you can get different
results from google depending on the browser.

Are you calling the browsers from a script and add quoting in one case but not
the other? Am I missing something?

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html

After visiting America for a while, it's always nice to get back
to New York.

Kinky Friedman: Frequent Flyer