Re: delete unneeded buffers

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: delete unneeded buffers
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:58:55 +0100

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
Hi,

    does anyone know of a good way to kill unneeded buffers?
    I think of something which kills all unvisible dired
    buffers. Would be nice, if anyone has a suggestion.

Greetings!
 Fabian
Fabian,

If you use ibuffer instead of buffer (normally on C-x b) you can do this.

To try out ibuffer, use M-x ibuffer-list-buffers.
To replace buffer with ibuffer, place in your
init.el

(require 'ibuffer)
(global-set-key [(control x) (control b)] 'ibuffer-list-buffers)

Once in *Ibuffer*
press
/ m RET dired-mode RET
to list only the dired buffers,
move the cursor to [Default],
then press
d x
to select and delete all dired buffers,
then press
/ /
to list all buffers again.

You can also use
s v
to sort by last view time, and
s m
to sort by major-mode.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.