Re: Move selection up, down

From: harven
Subject: Re: Move selection up, down
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:27:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 19, 4:21 pm, "jiri.pejc...@gmail.com" <jiri.pejc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in Netbeans when you press M-S-up/M-S-down you move the selected text
> up/down. When nothing is selected it moves the current line.
>
> With C-S-up/C-S-down you copy the selection up/down. When nothings is
> selected it copies the current line up/down.
>
> Is such functionality available in emacs?
>
> Jiri Pejchal

There are similar functionalities in emacs,
although the bindings are different. For example, the command that
transposes two
consecutive lines is called transpose-lines and is bound to C-x C-t by
default. Other transpose commands include transpose-region, transpose-
char, transpose-paragraphs, transpose-words, transpose-sentences.

You can also redefine such functionalities
by hand using a bit of lisp code. For example,
if I want to exchange two consecutive lines, I can define the
following command:

  (defun line-down ()
   (interactive)
   (save-excursion
     (beginning-of-line)
     (kill-line 1)
     (next-line)
     (yank))
   (next-line))

and bind it to C-S-down:

  (global-set-key (kbd "C-S-<down>") 'line-down)

This may convince you that new functionalities
are easily added to emacs.