Re: Keeping the point at the same position in multiple buffers

From: Xah
Subject: Re: Keeping the point at the same position in multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 21, 7:39 am, Corey Foote <coreyfo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> When editing several files in Emacs, each in its own buffer, each buffer has
> its own point location. I have Emacs displaying two buffers, each in it's own
> window. I was wondering if there's an easy way to make it so that each of
> these buffers will keep the point at the same place in both buffers (or at
> least on the same line) even though this is not the default behavior.
>
> So, for example, when I press C-n in the current buffer, the other buffer
> will also move it's point to the next line.

You can try “Alt+x 2C-two-columns” (shortuct Ctrl+x 6 2). This split a
window into 2 vertical columns. Page up/down one will also page up/
down the other. However, cursor doesn't follow.

related is a Alt+x follow-mode, which is for viewing one long file in
2 verticle frames as if you have a long monitor.

i'm pretty sure what you want is already implemented somewhere.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/