Composing Mail Blind: Which Mode, Basic Tweaking Qs?

From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Subject: Composing Mail Blind: Which Mode, Basic Tweaking Qs?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:06:09 +0300

Hi, I'm a legally blind programmer new to Emacs and Linux but greatly fond
of the editor already. I'd hope to be able to use Emacs to efficiently
quote, navigate and snip bottom-posted stuff much better than, say, Gedit
let's me. Three features, abstractly put, would make Emacs win other editors
hands down:

1. Sequentially get to the first line of the next/prev quote at level n (1
and 0 at least)
2. Snip in the current subtree of quote levels: trim to selection or kill
from/to cursor
3. Re-quote snipped text on the fly maintaining maximum line length and
minimizing line count

To clarify, level 0 text is what i'm typing, level 1 has an instance of the
quote prefix etc. The subtree is a descending series of quote levels bound
by level 0 text or an increase in quote level, starting another sub tree.

My question is, which Emacs mode would be closest to what I'm after? If
there's nothing quite like that, is it possible to customize it well enough
by changing regexpes, doing some macos and a bit of regexp searching?
Generaly, where can I get info on how to slightly customize a major mode
without getting into Elisp properly?

Those were my  questions, now some rationale (feel free to skip and snip in
a hurry):
Using Emacs with speechd-el means I listen to the computer at an extremely
fast speech rate (the whole usenet is spoken). Nevertheless, it does mean
there's no way to glance around, get the big picture or compare things
easily, in stead navigation in textual units, by regexp or linearly reading
through stuff, is the way to go. In the context of e-mail it means finding
the next level 1 quote is a linear thing for most blind folks. That is,
cursor the unquoted post until you don't hear greater than, greedily
interrupting the speech as soon as you know the relevance of the current
line e.g. greater ... greater ... gr .... gr ... gr ... somthing else. Then
requote the line you refer to.

What I tend to do in editors working like cua-mode is to cursor quotedd text
shift down until I hear the desired line or see the quote prefix heavily
magnified. then it is a matter of killing the selection, snipping the quote,
and manually rewrapping and adding new quote signs as needed.  This is a
silly manual process that would be easy to automate. Magnifying the problem,
I tend to snip loads, mostly including stuff mid sentence and almost never
quoting more than five lines per comment. Maybe this is about speech being
still slower than sight, even though I've listened to this synth (Orpheus US
English) for 10 years now.

Another problem are the quote signs, hearing "greater than" as an artifact
of logical, visual line breaks. WIth fellow blind folks I use a unique
letter from the first name at the very beginning of a  quote e.g. V: for me
with V2: and V3: referring to earlier comments. If there's a mode letting me
switch quoting between different styles on the fly, that would solve the
thing neatly.

As for why I'm not keen on lisp, the syntax is horribly regularly
irritating, <smile>. It is very hard to parse mentally when spoken, compared
to clean languages like Lua or Ruby, AppleScript and SQL being the extreme
examples here. Code such as:

(while (< (point) end)
  (re-search-forward "\\w+\\W*")

becomes spoken by line:

left paren while left paren less than left paren point right paren end right
paren  and so on

Mental stack overflown. Syntax and bracket highlighting is generally no
good. But the reader understanding what it reads, in evaluation order, might
be.

In Lua it could be:

while point() < End() do

True I did learn regexp, but they help me loads daily, I think all blind
folks should know them. I even learned Perl but I've realized I should have
learned Ruby as far as syntax goes. Nough said.  Maybe I should still try to
learn Elisp considering how much Emacs has helped me, I posted about this
recently in alt.comp.blind-users.

Anyway, any help appreciated. I've read the Emacs FAQ, the Wiki, Learning
Emacs, asked around, Googled, read Emacs, Rmail, Gnus etf... manuals etc...
None of them talk very much about composing e-mail, oddly enough. Maybe
there isn't much special support.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music: