Per-directory init files?

From: Roy Smith
Subject: Per-directory init files?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:25:32 -0400

Is there any way to have per-directory init files?

I've got a directory where I need to run "./install" after each round of
edits to any file in that directory.  What I'd like to do is make
"./install" my default compile command, but only when I'm in that
directory.  How can I do that?

I'm running GNU Emacs 22.1.1 on OSX-10.5.  Amazingly enough, OSX doesn't
seem to ship with make, so I can't just put a Makefile in my directory with
"./install" as the default action :-(