Re: "title" frame param: Want "string %f %b" with string different for s

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: Re: "title" frame param: Want "string %f %b" with string different for some frames
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:43:43 -0400

At Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:23:03 +0200 Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:

> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Say I want the current frame to have "sam" in the title together with
>> the current file and buffer names, I would like to say something like
>>
>>  (setq current-frame-title-format '("sam: %b <%f>")))
>>
>> and have all other frames still use  '("Emacs: %b <%f>")))
>
> Well, you can do:
>
> (set (make-variable-buffer-local 'frame-title-format) '("sam: %b <%f>"))
>
> That's not exactly what you want, but maybe it'll get you a little
> closer.
>
> There's also `make-variable-frame-local', but I couldn't quite get it to
> work.

buffer-local isn't really good enough.  I do want to use the frame for
several files/buffers.

make-variable-frame-local is listed as obsolete in emacs 22.2 and
beyond, which are the ones I use (22.2 and 23.0.60).  The interesting
output of (describe-function 'make-variable-frame-local) is

    make-variable-frame-local is an interactive built-in function in `C source
code'.
    (make-variable-frame-local VARIABLE)

    This function is obsolete since 22.2;
    use a frame-parameter instead.

    Enable VARIABLE to have frame-local bindings.
    This does not create any frame-local bindings for VARIABLE,
    it just makes them possible.

    A frame-local binding is actually a frame parameter value.
    If a frame F has a value for the frame parameter named VARIABLE,
    that also acts as a frame-local binding for VARIABLE in F--
    provided this function has been called to enable VARIABLE
    to have frame-local bindings at all.

    The only way to create a frame-local binding for VARIABLE in a frame
    is to set the VARIABLE frame parameter of that frame.  See
    `modify-frame-parameters' for how to set frame parameters.

    Buffer-local bindings take precedence over frame-local bindings.

I have been able to set the frame parameter "title", but that doesn't
give the ability to use %b %f.  My attempts at using
make-variable-frame-local and/or modify-frame-parameters have not
yet yielded the equivalent of my desired

 current-frame-title-format

as described above.

Thanks for your comments.
allan