Re: emacs as a service

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: emacs as a service
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:11:53 +0530

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
"Rustom Mody" <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> -- starting emacs as a service (using Sc perhaps??)
> -- emacs should not (by default) show in a tab on the desktop
> -- C-x C-c should close a frame not emacs
> -- it should be possible for emacs to be running without there being any
> frame

I think Emacs 23 will work for you:

*** Emacs now supports using both X displays and ttys in one session.
With an Emacs server active (M-x server-start), `emacsclient -t'
creates a tty frame connected to the running emacs server.  You can
use any number of different ttys.  `emacsclient -c' creates a new X11
frame on the current $DISPLAY (or a tty frame if $DISPLAY is not set).

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

X11?? I am on Windows!

Torsten Mueller wrote:
What is a "tab on the desktop"?
Sorry I should have said 'taskbar' (Im not very windows-savvy :-) )

 -- C-x C-c should close a frame not emacs

> A Windows service normally does not react on keys at all.

It does not need to.  The server would be invoked by the client.
All that is normally done by emacs would be done by the emacs (running as) server.

I think what you mean is something like the emacs client/server concept.

Yeah I know. I started by saying that the emacs side is easy: (server-start) which of course makes sense only if it is connected to by emacsclient(s).

The whole question was about integrating this -- emacs client-server model -- into the windows service framework (which I know nothing about as is perhaps evident).
If as you say that it requires deep changes to the structure of emacs sources I guess I just drop the idea!