Re: Coding systems again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Coding systems again
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:49:57 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:01:32 -0500
> From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
>
> I thought I understood coding systems enough to copy-paste between Emacs
> and Windows apps but I am no longer able to revert (re-code?) text from
> a buffer saved as utf-8 to latin-1. If I have the following in a buffer,
> how can I send it in Mozilla Thunderbird as latin-1?
>
> Theodosiô postea imperante rês aliquâtenus in meliôrem statum adductae sunt.
>
> Circumflex diacritics are part of latin-1 if I'm not mistaken but I
> always get a warning that message contains characters not found in the
> Encoding.

What Emacs version are you using?  Emacs 22.x ought to use UTF-16
(a.k.a. Unicode) encoding when passing text through the Windows
clipboard, so any native Windows application should be happy with the
result.

Can you try pasting the same text into Notepad?  If that works, then
the problem is likely ion Mozilla, not in Emacs.