Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 00:24:45 +0200

formido <formido@gmail.com> wrote:

> I could set cedet to load when a feature I know about is activated,
> like cc-mode, but I'm worried that with all that going on above, all
> sorts of features and hooks are being set up that I'll then never find
> out about.

Well, CEDET is a huge beast.  It even contains some sort of OO system
for lisp.  I wouldn't think about it too much, there's not much you can
do to speed it up.

I already said, I only load it after cc-mode, but actually, I also start
facilitate this.

http://nschum.de/src/emacs/idle-require/

> My elisp-foo is still weak: if I understand right, this function only
> works if the packages have been tagged with appropriate metadata,
> i.e., autoload markers?

Yes, but many packages come with those markers.  (All bundled packages
use the mechanism as well.)

You can tell if a package supports this by checking if the file contains
the text.
;;;###autoload

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher