Re: Remote editing through ssh and sudo

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: Remote editing through ssh and sudo
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:37:29 +0200

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:14:27PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
maghac <magnus.hacker@gmail.com> writes:
way to access the server is via ssh. No ftp or sftp. For security
reasons, I am not allowed to log in as the app owner user, but instead
I have to log in with my personal login with ssh and then use "sudo su
- app_admin" to switch to the app owner user. Sudo will of course ask
me for my password when I do this.

Tramp 2.1 shall support this. Read about multi hops
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Multi_002dhops>.

Need to read further, but in theory do multi-hops support the scenario
where your regular user is not a sudoer, but wants to edit files as
root on the localhost. Can there be an intermediate 'su' step?

E.g. on my mac I don't really trust the default security, so I log in
as a regular user who is not in the sudo file. To edit files as root,
I first have to su to an account that is in the sudoers list, and only
then can I sudo to become root.

Cheers,
Jonathan.