Re: 22.2 slower than 21.3

From: Robert
Subject: Re: 22.2 slower than 21.3
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 01:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Alan!

On Aug 29, 4:27 pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Robert!
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:06:52AM -0700, Robert wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just installed 22.2 (pre-built binary for Windows XP), but find it
> > slower than 21.3. I notice when opening C-files. I went straight back
> > to 21.3 now because of that.
>
> There was a bug in older CC Modes which made it "necessary" to scan
> entire buffers when loading them.  It was this:

OK, didn't know there was a new CC-mode.

> > Will this get faster in upcoming versions? The problem could perhaps
> > also be that the binary for Windows was built differently.  Have
> > others seen the same as me?
>
> Could you give me some figures, please?  _HOW_ much slower is the new CC
> mode?  Could you please do:
> (i) C-x C-f for a large C file please, one stored on your local hard
>   drive.  Then kill the buffer with C-x k, thus ensuring the file is in
>   the file system cache, if any.
> (ii) Do C-x C-f for this file again, and say how long it takes.
> (iii) Do C-x C-f for the same file in Emacs 21.x.  How long does this
>   take?
> (iv) State how large the file is, and what make and speed of CPU you
>   have.

I only loaded a file of 518k, a C-file of about 10000 lines. I tried
now and it takes about 5 seconds to load in 22.2, actually 6 seconds
if I don't use reverse video (which I normally use). The 22.2.91
version takes less than 1 second.

> If there is a real problem here, like files taking 1 minute to load,
> it'll get fixed.  If it's a case of the loading feeling a bit sluggish
> (an extra 1 or 2 seconds to load), it may be possible to optimise things
> a bit.

OK, so this is only a few seconds difference. Now I concatenated the
file I had to get a larger C-file of 2 MB:

2.22:       17 seconds
2.22.91:   0.8 seconds

I loaded the file first, then killed the buffer and then I timed the

With 2.22.91 I get another problem though, with SLIME:

---
An error has occurred while loading `e:/home/rfo/.emacs':

Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (&optional contribs) Setup Emacs so
that lisp-mode buffers always use SLIME.
CONTRIBS is a list of contrib packages to load. (when (member (quote
lisp-mode) slime-lisp-modes) (add-hook (quote lisp-mode-hook) (quote
slime-lisp-mode-hook))) (when contribs (add-to-list (quote load-path)
(expand-file-name contrib slime-path)) (dolist (c contribs) (require
c) (let ((init (intern (format %s-init c)))) (when (fboundp init)
(funcall init)))))), 2
---

This does not happen in 21.3 or 22.2.

Regards,