Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:06:01 +0100

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
> For this to be quite successful one needs ---
> 1. emacs running as a server -- easily done with (server-start)
> 2. emacs to be quietly background-able, ie disappear without being
> visible on the desktop.  This is not possible because delete-frame
> refuses to delete the last frame. In my view delete-frame should
> quietly delete the frame if server is running. if not and its the last
> frame it should chain to save-buffers-kill-emacs.
> 3. emacs to be understood as a service by the OS.  This means it must
> be compiled and follow the expected convention of service (for
> windows) or daemon (for unices).
>
> 3 would give maximum convenience but at least 2 is necessary for easy
> 'service-able' usage (in my humble opinion)

I believe one can get emacs to "go away completely" using the Multi-tty
version (which is either a branch or in trunk CVS), but I haven't tried
that yet myself.

What I've been using for quite some time is detailed on the EmacsWiki
[1], and seems to work pretty well. It basically does what you describe
at the end of 2).

Rupert

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RupertSwarbrick#toc1