Re: problem with time-stamps on GNU/Linux and Windows

From: Seweryn Kokot
Subject: Re: problem with time-stamps on GNU/Linux and Windows
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:19:20 +0200

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> On 09/04/2008 09:00 AM Jason Rumney wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 7:02 pm, Seweryn Kokot <s.ko...@po.opole.pl> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Could you explain to me why I get slightly different time-stamps under
>>> Windows and Linux?
>>
>> These localized weekday names come from the system. No amount of
>> configuration within Emacs will make them the same in Windows as they
>> are in GNU/Linux.
>
> I'm not quite understanding your problem.  And I don't often use
> Windows.  But I would think that emacs should fetch the same couple
> words (i.e., two bytes) representing the time regardless of which OS it
> is running on.  But I'm guessing that the problem isn't the accuracy of
> the time, but rather the human-readable output derived from those words.
>
> I trust that you've read and understand the help on
> "format-time-string"...  i.e.,
>
> C-h f format-time-string [Return]

I had read it before. I referred to %a from this help buffer. And the
problem is with the abbreviated name of the day of week. Under Linux I
get three-letter abbreviations (e.g. "wto" - "Tue") and under Windows -
two-letter abbrev (e.g. "Wt").

What I want is the three-letter abbreviation.

regards,
Seweryn