Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 08:38:53 -0400

>>> formido <formido@gmail.com> seems to think that:
>On Aug 31, 4:26 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
>
>Haha! I see others have mentioned cedet, too. That's the package
>that's causing me the most pain. See, I just followed cedet's .emacs
>setup
>instructions, and I went with the whole kit and kaboodle by using the
>load-excessive-helper-functions or whatever. My .emacs looks like:
>
>(load "lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/common/cedet.elc")
>(semantic-load-enable-excessive-code-helpers)
>
>So, when Emacs starts up, the relevant sections of *messages* looks
>like this:

>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/common/" added to `load-
>path'
>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/cogre" added to `load-
>path'
>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/ede" added to `load-path'
>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/eieio" added to `load-
>path'
>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/semantic" added to `load-
>path'
>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/speedbar" added to `load-
>path'
>"/Users/formido/.emacs.d/lisp/cedet-1.0pre4/contrib" added to `load-
>path'
>Setting up cedet...done
>Setting up cogre...done
>Setting up ede...
>Setting up ede...done
>Setting up eieio...done
>Setting up semantic...done
>Setting up speedbar...done
>Setting up cedet-contrib...done
>
>WARNING: Probable vocabulary misuse ahead...
>
>I could set cedet to load when a feature I know about is activated,
>like cc-mode, but I'm worried that with everything going on above, all
>sorts of features and hooks are being set up that I'll then never find
>out about. I would have thought that they'd just set up hooks to
>autoload functions as necessary. Is all the above necessary just for
>that?

Hi,

  Those messages from CEDET are just pointing out what it's doing to
your Emacs session.  The "added to `load-path'" line means it checked
some revision numbers, and decided to add something to your load path.
This will help identify if you have multiple conflicting packages
loaded.

  The "Setting up" lines means it is has pulled in the autoloads file
for that package.  That is pretty much the minimum required.

  If you then enabled any of the "global-...-mode" functions, that
forces the package that contains the mode to load, in order to use that
convenience function.

Hope that helps
Eric

--