indenting keyword arguments so far

From: Tamas K Papp
Subject: indenting keyword arguments so far
Date: 8 Sep 2008 14:25:38 GMT

Hi asked this on c.l.l, but didn't find a solution, so I thought I would
ask here.  I would like my Common Lisp code to be indented properly.

Suppose I type

(foo :a a :b b
:c c :d :e e
:f f :g g)

into a Lisp buffer (keyword names are deliberately short, but imagine they
would not fit on a line).  C-M-q gives

(foo :a a :b b
          :c c :d d :e e
          :f f :g g)

Pressing Tab gives

(foo :a a :b b
          :c c :d d :e e
                    :f f :g g)

What I would prefer is something like

(foo :a a :b b
     :c c :d d :e e
     :f f :g g)

Others on c.l.l claim it works properly for them, but not for me.  I am
using Emacs 23.0.0.1, with the following settings:

C-M-q runs the command indent-sexp
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.

TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command lisp-indent-line
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.

lisp-indent-function is a variable defined in `lisp-mode.el'.
Its value is
common-lisp-indent-function
Local in buffer foo.lisp; global value is
lisp-indent-function

(symbol-plist 'common-lisp-indent-function) gives nil.

>From the comments of others, I am under the impression that what I want
should work out of the box, but it doesn't.  Please help me find out
why...

Thanks,

Tamas