Re: How to open a file in sh-mode

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: How to open a file in sh-mode
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 01:35:55 +0000 (UTC)

In article <64d8ebaf-0c89-4e9d-9aee-86b4e9414449@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
Xah  <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Aug 14, 12:53 am, "Francis Moreau" <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to open a file with emacs automatically set on sh-mode.
>> The file name can't be used to guess that emacs should be in sh-mode
>> when opening it.
>
>If the file content's first line starts with “#!”, then you could use
>the magic-mode-alist.

Xah -- question about the characters in your posts:

If I or someone sees eg a url in one of your posts, and
wants to go to that url (because you've suggested doing that,
maybe), it's a little difficult to just cut-n-paste your string,
what with all the extra control or whatever they are characters
mixed in.

What is that stuff, why is it there, and is it really necessary
for you to include it.

Thanks,

David