Re: emacs 23 input method changes

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: emacs 23 input method changes
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:55:17 -0500

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:13:22 -0400 Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> wrote:

LC> I just upgraded my ubuntu system to Hardy Heron, which has emacs 23 as
LC> the default emacs, instead of emacs 22.

LC> I had been using the TeX input method for occasional non-ascii
LC> characters, such as é or ü.

LC> This no longer works for me, because the default seems to be that
LC> after you've typed a backslash, it goes on reading several characters,
LC> and I always end up with something in Chinese or Japanese when I've
LC> tried to type an é.

LC> I don't read, and certainly don't type, Chinese.  How do I tell the
LC> TeX input method:

LC>     To stop accepting input when the character I want appears in the
LC>     mini-buffer?

This should be automatic.  If it's not, two or more rules overlap and it
may need to be fixed.  Can you specify an example?

LC>     That in general I'm going to be using two-character sequences for
LC>     Latin alphabets, and not typing Chinese?

I think the TeX input method (as defined in leim/quail/latin-ltx.el)
doesn't have any Asian characters.  Can you give an example?  Look in
that file to see the current bindings--maybe that will help.  Can you
also check the actual value of your `default-input-method' to make sure
it's correct?

Ted