Re: On Edit GNU Emacs 22.2.1 Eats My Blank Characters At The End Of Line

From: ChristopherL
Subject: Re: On Edit GNU Emacs 22.2.1 Eats My Blank Characters At The End Of Lines
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:54:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 11, 11:41 am, Charles Sebold <cseb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this true of any file, or just particular files?  Can you try this
> with a plain text file and tell us if it happens or not?  Or attach a
> file on which you see this behavior?

It happens with Ada source code, but not with dot txt files.

------- Save file, copy file, then put a blank at the end of any line
in the second file

with Ada.Text_IO;
use  Ada.Text_IO;

procedure Hello_world is

begin
   Ada.Text_IO.Put_Line("Hello, world!");
end test;

> I'd be interested in the output of:
>
> M-x describe-mode RET

Without the -Q option:

Enabled minor modes: Auto-Compression Blink-Cursor Encoded-Kbd
File-Name-Shadow Global-Font-Lock Line-Number Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel
Tool-Bar Tooltip Unify-8859-On-Encoding Utf-Translate-Cjk

(Information about these minor modes follows the major mode info.)

Fundamental mode:
Major mode not specialized for anything in particular.
Other major modes are defined by comparison with this one.

Auto-Compression minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle automatic file compression and uncompression.
With prefix argument ARG, turn auto compression on if positive, else
off.
Return the new status of auto compression (non-nil means on).

Blink-Cursor minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle blinking cursor mode.
With a numeric argument, turn blinking cursor mode on if ARG is
positive,
otherwise turn it off.  When blinking cursor mode is enabled, the
cursor of the selected window blinks.

Note that this command is effective only when Emacs
displays through a window system, because then Emacs does its own
cursor display.  On a text-only terminal, this is not implemented.

Encoded-Kbd minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle Encoded-kbd minor mode.
With arg, turn Encoded-kbd mode on if and only if arg is positive.

You should not turn this mode on manually, instead use the command
C-x RET k which turns on or off this mode
automatically.

In Encoded-kbd mode, a text sent from keyboard is accepted
as a multilingual text encoded in a coding system set by
C-x RET k.

File-Name-Shadow minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle File-Name Shadow mode.
When active, any part of a filename being read in the minibuffer
that would be ignored (because the result is passed through
`substitute-in-file-name') is given the properties in
`file-name-shadow-properties', which can be used to make
that portion dim, invisible, or otherwise less visually noticeable.

With prefix argument ARG, turn on if positive, otherwise off.
Returns non-nil if the new state is enabled.

Global-Font-Lock minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle Font-Lock mode in every possible buffer.
With prefix ARG, turn Global-Font-Lock mode on if and only if ARG is
positive.
Font-Lock mode is enabled in all buffers where `turn-on-font-lock-if-
enabled' would do it.
See `font-lock-mode' for more information on Font-Lock mode.

Line-Number minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle Line Number mode.
With arg, turn Line Number mode on if arg is positive, otherwise
turn it off.  When Line Number mode is enabled, the line number
appears in the mode line.

Line numbers do not appear for very large buffers and buffers
with very long lines; see variables `line-number-display-limit'
and `line-number-display-limit-width'.

Menu-Bar minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle display of a menu bar on each frame.
This command applies to all frames that exist and frames to be
created in the future.
With a numeric argument, if the argument is positive,
turn on menu bars; otherwise, turn off menu bars.

Mouse-Wheel minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle mouse wheel support.
With prefix argument ARG, turn on if positive, otherwise off.
Return non-nil if the new state is enabled.

Tool-Bar minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle use of the tool bar.
With numeric ARG, display the tool bar if and only if ARG is positive.

See `tool-bar-add-item' and `tool-bar-add-item-from-menu' for
conveniently adding tool bar items.

Tooltip minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle Tooltip mode.
With ARG, turn Tooltip mode on if and only if ARG is positive.
When this minor mode is enabled, Emacs displays help text
in a pop-up window for buttons and menu items that you put the mouse
on.
(However, if `tooltip-use-echo-area' is non-nil, this and
all pop-up help appears in the echo area.)

When Tooltip mode is disabled, Emacs displays one line of
the help text in the echo area, and does not make a pop-up window.

Unify-8859-On-Encoding minor mode (no indicator):
Set up translation-tables for unifying ISO 8859 characters on
encoding.

The ISO 8859 characters sets overlap, e.g. 8859-1 (Latin-1) and
8859-15 (Latin-9) differ only in a few characters.  Emacs normally
distinguishes equivalent characters from those ISO-8859 character sets
which are built in to Emacs.  This behavior is essentially inherited
from the European-originated international standards.  Treating them
equivalently, by translating to and from a single representation is
called `unification'.  (The `utf-8' coding system treats the
characters of European scripts in a unified manner.)

In this mode, on encoding -- i.e. output operations -- non-ASCII
characters from the built-in ISO 8859 and `mule-unicode-0100-24ff'
charsets are handled automatically by the coding system used if it can
represent them.  Thus, say, an e-acute from the Latin-1 charset (the
unified representation) in a buffer saved as Latin-9 will be encoded
directly to a byte value 233.  By default, in contrast, you would be
prompted for a general coding system to use for saving the file, which
can cope with separate Latin-1 and Latin-9 representations of e-acute.

Also sets hooks that arrange `translation-table-for-input' to be set
up locally.  This will often allow input generated by Quail input
methods to conform with what the buffer's file coding system can
encode.  Thus you could use a Latin-2 input method to search for
e-acute in a Latin-1 buffer.

See also command `unify-8859-on-decoding-mode'.

Utf-Translate-Cjk minor mode (no indicator):
Toggle whether UTF based coding systems de/encode CJK characters.
If ARG is an integer, enable if ARG is positive and disable if
zero or negative.  This is a minor mode.
Enabling this allows the coding systems mule-utf-8,
mule-utf-16le and mule-utf-16be to encode characters in the charsets
`korean-ksc5601', `chinese-gb2312', `chinese-big5-1',
`chinese-big5-2', `japanese-jisx0208' and `japanese-jisx0212', and to
decode the corresponding unicodes into such characters.

Where the charsets overlap, the one preferred for decoding is chosen
according to the language environment in effect when this option is
turned on: ksc5601 for Korean, gb2312 for Chinese-GB, big5 for
Chinese-Big5 and jisx for other environments.

This mode is on by default.  If you are not interested in CJK
characters and want to avoid some overhead on encoding/decoding
by the above coding systems, you can customize the user option
`utf-translate-cjk-mode' to nil.