What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:20:27 +0200

Hello,

I'm still trying to do all my jobs inside emacs but I'm missing a couple
things.

The first one is what I can't do anymore when working with a shell/terminal
inside emacs.

  1/ Most applications based on ncurse behave strangely when using
      M-x term

  2/ Although M-x shell has history reference completions, it doesn't complete
      for '!#:<n>'. But '!!:<n>' works fine though.

  3/ There's no readline "reverse-search-history" function (C-r) which does
     an _incremental_  search;

  4/ There's no readline "yank-last-arg" function which inserts the last
      argument to the previous commands

  5/ emacs doesn't expand shell variable when hitting <TAB>

Am I missing something ?

Thanks
--
Francis