defmacro is worse than my neighbours cat

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: defmacro is worse than my neighbours cat
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:13:10 +0200

defmacro is worse than my neighbour's cat. When I think I everything is
fine and I calm down they bite.

I have a defmacro where I define a function and I want to build the doc
string for this function in a certain way. This works fine - until I
byte compile it. Can someone please try to explain to me how I can do
what I want?

Below is the defmacro. Look for "fix-me".

(defmacro define-mumamo-multi-major-mode (fun-sym spec-doc chunks)
  "Define a function that turn on support for multiple major modes."
  (let* ((mumamo-describe-chunks (make-symbol "mumamo-describe-chunks"))
         (turn-on-fun (if (symbolp fun-sym)
                          (symbol-value
                           (intern
                            (symbol-name (quote fun-sym))))
                        (error "Parameter FUN-SYM must be a symbol")))
         (turn-on-fun-alias (intern
                             (concat "mumamo-alias-"
                                     (symbol-name
                                      (symbol-value
                                       (intern
                                        (symbol-name (quote fun-sym))))))))
         (turn-on-hook (intern (concat (symbol-name turn-on-fun) "-hook")))
         (turn-on-map  (intern (concat (symbol-name turn-on-fun) "-map")))
         (turn-on-hook-doc (concat "Hook run at the very end of `"
                                   (symbol-name turn-on-fun) "'."))
         (chunks2 (if (symbolp chunks)
                      (symbol-value chunks)
                    chunks))
         (docstring
          (concat
           spec-doc
           "

This function is called a multi major mode.  The main use for it
is in `auto-mode-alist' to have Emacs do this setup whenever you
open a file named in a certain way.  \(You can of course call
this function directly yourself too.)

It sets up for multiple mode in the following way:

"
           ;; Fix-me: During byte compilation the next line is not
           ;; expanded as I thought because the functions in CHUNK is
           ;; not defined. How do I fix this?
           (funcall 'mumamo-describe-chunks chunks2)
           "

At the very end this multi major mode function runs first the hook
`mumamo-turn-on-hook' and then `" (symbol-name turn-on-hook) "'.

There is a keymap specific to this multi major mode, but it is
not returned by `current-local-map' which returns the chunk's
major mode's local keymap.

The keymap is named `" (symbol-name turn-on-map) "'.

This major mode has an alias `mumamo-alias-"
(symbol-name turn-on-fun) "'.
For more information see `define-mumamo-multi-major-mode'."
           )))
    `(progn
       (add-to-list 'mumamo-defined-turn-on-functions (cons (car
',chunks2) ',turn-on-fun))
       (defvar ,turn-on-hook nil ,turn-on-hook-doc)
       (defvar ,turn-on-map (make-sparse-keymap)
         ,(concat "Keymap for multi major mode function `"
                  (symbol-name turn-on-fun) "'"))
       (defvar ,turn-on-fun nil)
       (make-variable-buffer-local ',turn-on-fun)
       (put ',turn-on-fun 'permanent-local t)
       (defun ,turn-on-fun nil ,docstring
         (interactive)
         (let ((old-major-mode (or mumamo-major-mode
                                   major-mode)))
           (kill-all-local-variables)
           (run-hooks 'change-major-mode-hook)
           (setq mumamo-multi-major-mode ',turn-on-fun)
           (setq ,turn-on-fun t)
           (mumamo-add-multi-keymap ',turn-on-fun ,turn-on-map)
           (setq mumamo-current-chunk-family (copy-tree ',chunks2))
           (mumamo-turn-on-actions old-major-mode)
           (run-hooks ',turn-on-hook)))
       (defalias ',turn-on-fun-alias ',turn-on-fun)
       )))