Re: AucTeX and doc-view-mode

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: AucTeX and doc-view-mode
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:50:26 +0200

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:45:38 +0200 Tassilo Horn wrote:

> David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Can I get AucTeX to use `doc-view-mode' (and if needed
>> `revert-buffer') to display the result?  I use Emacs and AucTeX from
>> CVS if the matters.
>
> I don't think that you really want to do that.  Doc-view recompiles the
> whole document after it has changed.  And since its MD5 changed, too,
> you'll get an additional cache folder in /tmp/doc-view<uid>/ for any
> latex run.

That's a doc-view deficiency, it could a dir named !path!to!file or
similar.  Worth a bug report?  I just noted that ~/tmp/doc-view/ is
>> 500M.  Some access statistic that can be used to rm the long time not
used directories would be nice too.

> I think it's much better to use preview-latex in that case.

It's not the same as seeing the document as it would come out of the
printer.  Just think about pictures or the poor syllabication of LaTeX
in non English languages.

David