Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:55:17 -0400

In article <mailman.19222.1221417839.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Chris F.A. Johnson
> > <cfajohnson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>   C-up
> >>

> > really ?
> >
> > could you tell me on which function this is binded ?
>
> <C-up> runs the command comint-previous-input

But that yanks the whole command line, not just the last argument.

I still the shell's history features for !$ and !*.  The nice thing is
that Emacs recognizes them and substitutes them into its history list,
so that if I use commands like C-up it will yank them with the
appropriate values.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA