Re: anti-aliased fonts

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: anti-aliased fonts
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:47:18 +1000

Dan Espen <daneNO@MORE.mk.SPAMtelcordia.com> writes:

> Joost Diepenmaat <joost@zeekat.nl> writes:
>
>> dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

>>> Please, where do you get this thing?
>>
>> assuming you've got cvs installed, this is how I build mine on linux:
>>
>> $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
>> $ cd emacs
>> $ make clean
>> $ ./configure --with-xpm --with-tiff --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg \
>>   --with-x-toolkit=gtk && make bootstrap && make -j 4
>
> "make clean" would only work if you've previously done a "./configure"
> in this directory.
>
> On a subsequent CVS updates,
> "make distclean" might be safer.

correct. Until you have run ./configure, you don't actually have a
real makefile (thats part of what configure does), so a make clean or
any other make target won't work until at least one ./configure has been
done.

I personally think its better, after the first build, to do the make
distclean *before* doing the cvs update.

Note to that after you have done the first initial CVS check-out (co),
you don't have to do it again. I just cd into the emacs source directory
and issue 'cvs update'. its a lot faster than dragging down the whole
thing again.

Also, you don't need the directives for GTK anymore as that is
now the default. You also don't need the directives for the different
image support as they are automatically added if configure finds the
libraries. I only use --enable-font-backend and --prefix and I could
omit prefix as I think the default is /usr/local. Even the
--enable-font-backend may not be necessary anymore, so you can probably
get buy with just ./configure

tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au