Re: emacs 23 input method changes

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: emacs 23 input method changes
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:56:45 -0500

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:55:06 -0400 Laura Conrad <lconrad@laymusic.org> wrote:

LC> (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
LC> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
LC> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
LC> (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
LC> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

LC> It looks like it's some of that UTF-8 stuff I quoted in my previous mail.

James> Looking at my output from (describe-coding-system) suggests that setting
James> the keyboard coding system is the culprit.  I have no-conversion there,
James> nil for inter-client cut-n-paste and utf-8-unix elsewhere.  All w/o any
James> settings in ~/.emacs or my custom file.

LC> Yes, that looks like the answer.  I had commented out all of those
LC> settings, and didn't get the problem.  If I put them all back except
LC> for set-keyboard-coding-system, I do get the problem.

LC> (For those who don't remember the beginning of the thread, the problem
LC> is that in TeX input mode, I expect to be able to type ént by typing
LC> "\'ent".  When I have the problem, typing those four characters gives
LC> me some Chinese character.)

Could you submit an Emacs bug about it?  It will improve the software
for other users.  I could do it but you had the original report :)

Ted