How do you run your scripts efficiently?

From: Ben Aurel
Subject: How do you run your scripts efficiently?
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 08:13:58 -0700

hi
I work mostly in vim, although I'm not a very advanced vim user. The
problem is I can't find a simple way to easily run a perl script and
capture its output.

I've tried different things but I'm still *very* unsatisfied with the
implementation of the following basic workflow:

     1. Edit a perl script in the editor
     2. Press one key (eg. F5) to save and run the script
     3. Print the output to a window below the editor window
     4. Possibility to easily switch to the output window and scroll
through the messages
     5. Possibility to easily switch back to the editor window

Currently I work with a GNU screen/vim combo.

________________
| term1: vim |
|________________
| term2
|  jdoe:%

But there is always a lot of typing involved. For example to
accomplish step 2. in the workflow above:

     - ESC, :w (to save the script in vim in term1)
     - CTRL-Z, tab (to switch to term2)
     - type "./myscript.pl" (to run the script in term2)

I think it's far from ideal... Can this easier be done with emacs? How
is your workflow?

thanks
ben