Re: slow find-file for network file systems and very deep directories

From: AlFire
Subject: Re: slow find-file for network file systems and very deep directories
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:58:06 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Does it help to set w32-get-true-file-attributes to a nil value?

did not help - I tested it. and probably should since describe-variable says it
is NTFS only:

Documentation:
Non-nil means determine accurate link count in `file-attributes'.
Note that this option is only useful for files on NTFS volumes, where hard links
are supported.  Moreover, it slows down `file-attributes' noticeably.

what else? could it be really considered a bug. from the original trace - I
noted that Emacs is kind of looking for a source control related files like:
.bzr\checkout\, _MTN, {arch}\, MCVS\ and walking thru the tree structure
multiple times.