Elisp beginner's question

From: Uwe Siart
Subject: Elisp beginner's question
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:16:45 +0200

Dear all,

the value of the buffer local variable 'show-trailing-whitespace'
determines highlighting of trailing whitespace. This variable can be
customized. However, I could not find an interactive function to toggle
highlighting of trailing whitespace in a particular buffer. Therefore my
attempt to provide such a function is as follows:

;; --------------------------------------------
(defun toggle-show-trailing-whitespace ()
  "Toggle highlighting of trailing whitespace."
  (interactive)
  (if show-trailing-whitespace
    (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)
    (setq show-trailing-whitespace t)))

And - well - it works somehow, I don't see any misbehaviour so far. But
I'd appreciate some experts' advice whether this approach is ok or
whether it should be done differently.

Thank you.

--
Uwe