Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:21:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 6:04 am, Cor Gest <c...@clsnet.nl> wrote:
> Some entity, AKA Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org>,
> wrote this mindboggling stuff:
> (selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
>
> > Here's a better phrasing:
>
> > • Emacs does not provide a user level function to create a new buffer.
> > It has “Open file...” (a wrapper to the find-file command), which
> > immediately prompt user for a full file path. This is annoying. Modern
> > apps's New File command actually just create a new untitled file
> > without prompting, and only when user save it it prompt a file name.
> > If user closes it, it prompts for saving.
>
> Emacs _never_ 'opens' files, it merely visits them and copies its
> content into a (named)-buffer.

> After you are done messing with that buffer you order emacs to write the
> content of the buffer to file-name to relace it and saving
> the unaltered-visited-file. (you _do_ use versioning, don't you ?)
> If you cannot understand this type of editing you really should
> not use emacs at all and use something else.

huh? What is your point??

> Oh, BTW emacs really is ment for people who know what they want to do
> and those people do not create untitled files nor do they not know
> where they are messing around in any filesystem, otherwise they should
> not be allowed access to the system in the first place.

huh? what does this has to do with anything?

r u now saying emacs should only be for elite programers?

r u trying to say emacs is not Microsoft? hum?? I no unstand.

Perhaps u r having a sentiment someting like the following Q:

Q: Why should emacs want to be popular and why should emacs change to
conform the majority?

Luckly i have answered your Q previously, here:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

Quote:

A: This attitude has plagued unix and computer geekers for decades. In
the early 1990s (DOS and unix), tech geekers would sneer at graphical
menus and mouse, with hordes of reasons how pure text interface, the
command line, and or keyboard operations are sufficient and superior
than graphical user interface or using a mouse. This seems ridiculous
today, but such voices are commonly seen all over newsgroups. (Since
about 1998, linuxes are in a frenzied race to copy whole-sale of
Microsoft Windows's user interface ( KDE↗, GNOME↗, Lindows↗ ) trying
to make itself easy-to-use.)

We like emacs, we want emacs to be used by more people, we like more
elisp programers. By improving emacs, as a side effect emacs will also
be more popular. It is not a popularity contest.

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/