Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:50:00 +0000

Hi, Xah.

One small but important point you made:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 04:50:50PM -0700, Xah Lee wrote:

> Here are few minor reasons:

>     * When the scratch buffer is closed, emacs does not prompt user to
> save it. This easily causes data loss.

The other side of the argument is that *scratch* is intended for
temporary, unimportant doodling, and for anybody who uses it this way,
being continually prompted to save it would rapidly become annoying.

I don't think there's a built in option to change this.  However, you
could write a hook function to add in this check.  The hook is
`kill-buffer-query-functions' and is documented in the Elisp manual on
the page "Killing Buffers".

[ .... ]

>     * modern_operations.el.

A small point about this file (at
<http://xahlee.org/emacs/modern_operations.el>): you don't really need
the function `kill-line-backwards', since M-0 C-k will do this for you.
However, that key binding is a bit clumsy.  You could use it like this:

(defun kill-line-backwards ()
  "Doc string ...."
  (interactive)
  (kill-line 0))