Re: Completion in Auctex

From: denebet
Subject: Re: Completion in Auctex
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:53:28 +0200

Ross A. Laird wrote:

> I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but in auctex you can
> type M-/ (alt-forward slash) and it will complete words that are not
> commands (e.g. words that exist previously in the document).

Thanks.

Yes, this is what I was looking for but didn't find it because a long time
ago I set completion in programming modes  to [TAB] and forgot to  set it
for text mode.
In case it could be useful for people reading this group and who think that
M-/  is not a very user friendly shortcut :

from
<http://www.emacsblog.org/2007/03/12/tab-completion-everywhere/>

-------------
(defun indent-or-expand (arg)
  "Either indent according to mode, or expand the word preceding
point."
  (interactive "*P")
  (if (and
       (or (bobp) (= ?w (char-syntax (char-before))))
       (or (eobp) (not (= ?w (char-syntax (char-after))))))
      (dabbrev-expand arg)
    (indent-according-to-mode)))

(defun my-tab-fix ()
  (local-set-key [tab] 'indent-or-expand))

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook       'my-tab-fix) ;; for auctex
(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook       'my-tab-fix) ;; for c++
;; and so on

Have a nice day