Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:25:11 +0100

On 2008-09-20, Xah Lee <xah@xahlee.org> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 8:32 am, Eric S Fraga <ucec...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-19, Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > than graphical user interface or using a mouse. This seems ridiculous
>> > today, but such voices are commonly seen all over newsgroups. (Since
>>
>> the reasons still stand and they are not ridiculous.
>
> In argument, you can't just say something is ridiculous. You have to
> give reasons.

Excuse me?  *You* said the reasons were ridiculous, not me.  The
reasons are there, as you implied.  Let me give you a couple:

1. RSI: I cannot use a mouse without pain.
2. speed: I type 60+ wpm, which is not particularly fast but results
   in faster output than using the mouse, especially if the GUI is badly
   designed (which applies to most graphical apps in my experience).

Others will have their own reasons and calling them ridiculous is
potentially insulting.  If you prefer a graphical interface, fine.  I
do not.

> Perhaps you think something is obvious. But in arguments, others might
> think the opposite is obvious. That's why good argument needs explicit
> reasons.

I agree; you said reasons had been given for text based interfaces.
You then said these were ridiculous and then failed to give any
reasons why.  Maybe you should start listening to your own advice?
Just a friendly suggestion.

--
Eric S Fraga, UCL
GP Key: FFFCF67D F'prnt: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D