Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:45:49 +0000 (UTC)

In article <4923507d-f4b7-493c-81f3-9f3977c80cbd@c22g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
rustom  <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah well then I take it back :-)
>
>I myself have used unices for some 25 years and of late have been
>suffering the windows world.
>No not getting into OS-politics --just that I find I dont know how to
>use windows in a reasonable way and the common claim that cygwin makes
>windows into unix is far from true (for me).

Yeah -- haven't seen how to get a dtterm-like or xterm-like or even
vt100-like window that's FULL SCREEN SIZED!   (Do you, or anyone,
knowhow to do that?)

>So even though emacs on windows is not quite as native on windows as

  Am confused: are you comparing "emacs" (ANY emacs) running on windows
  compared to emacs on unix/linux?

  Or are you comparing NTemacs (on windows, of course) with the
  emacs that cygwin "setup" lists as something to include as
  a tool available under CYGWIN?

>on a unix (egs slash vs backslash, cannot read lnk files etc etc), it
>at least understands it without the poor intermediation of cygwin.
>
>So all you want to do is transfer firefox files to external hardware
>going the way of cygwin-mount.el and all such arcana (which Ive never

                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thanks for informing me of this!

>got to work) is a sledgehammer for a nut.
>Native emacs was my suggestion assuming that you had other (more emacs-
>y) uses for emacs
>But the most natural and simple way for moving files around on windows
>is windows-explorer not dired!

Well, I've done it via window's (well, xp's) "my computer" facility.

Works ok, not bad.

QUESTION: using "my computer", I look at the sansa-clip's internal directory,
or what seems to be it.  Under "internalmemory", there's "music", this,
that, and the other, PLUS something I called "WBAI".  (these "dirs"
are all at the same level, seemingly direct-children of "internalmemory".

When I copy files (downloaded into "downloads" on my wife's pc)
from there, for the "where to" I click on "WBAI".  And I can
watch them going there.

OK, nice -- nice to be able to have the dir-tree of
the mp3 device mirrored right there onto the pc!

EXCEPT -- when I turn on the mp3-device itself,
there's no "WBAI" dir anywhere to be seen!

I must go to MUSIC and under that to SONGS --
and it's THERE that all the files ended up at.

So I'm not so clear on just what I'm seeing in EITHER
place -- "my computer's" "mirror" or the device itself.

Any ideas?

ALSO -- I first saw the sansa-CLIP (4gb) at Costco, at a discount,
so I (spendthrift!) bought TWO of them.

So, I hook both of them, simultaneously, to the computer.

And (if they're plugged in BEFORE I bring-up the pc) they're
both recognized, both icons show up in "my computer".

QUESTION: no label identifyhing them, ie no seeming way to
refer to one vs the other OTHER THAN by POINTING AT IT
("UG -- ME SEE TWO MP3 DEVICES!   ME WANT TO LOOK AT *THAT* ONE.
   UGG!  SEE -- THAT ONE THERE!   UG!").

Suggestions as to any NAME for them?

THANKS!

David