Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:07:30 +0200

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>> If I "xdg-open ." from the command line it works great.
>>
>> If I change xdg-open for nautilus in the code below it works. (Using
>> nautilus that is).
>>
>> But using xdk-open there it does not work for me (debian). Does it
>> work on your Linux install?
>
> Yes, it works here (Gentoo GNU/Linux).  If point is on a directory it
> opens thunar (the XFCE file manager), for files it uses another
> appropriate application.

Hmm. No joy here on Debian.

shell-command worked though but only for directories. For files the
cursor sat spinning - possibly because the process was waiting for
emacsclient to respond?

(defun dired-open-externally ()
  "Open the current directory in your OS's file manager."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fileobject (dired-get-file-for-visit)))
;       (start-process "dired-external" nil "/usr/bin/xdg-open"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/";)
        (shell-command (concat "xdg-open" " " fileobject))
;       (start-process-shell-command "xdg" nil "/usr/bin/xdg-open"
"www.ibm.com")
        )
)

(define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "e") 'dired-open-externally)