Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:55:57 -0500

Xah Lee <xah@xahlee.org> writes:
> On Sep 23, 6:02 am, Eric S Fraga <ucec...@eeepc.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-23, Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org> wrote:

>> > if you don't know much about keyboard and ergonomics, i recommend
>> > reading the few articles i've written on the issue. A partial list
>>
>> Your arrogance (exacerbated and accentuated by your apparent inability
>> to read what others write) is quite amazing.  Depressing, actually.  I
>> know a great deal about both ergonomics and keyboards.  I really don't
>> need you to point me to what you've written given your rather narrow
>> view on most of these issues.
>
> The question is, what is the percentage of your knowledge of keyboards
> and ergonomics with respect to mine.

More important in this context is the fact that his knowledge of his
specific RSI problems and their solutions is much higher than yours.  He
mentioned specific ways in which he finds your "ergonomic" layout to be
more painful than his setup.  He also mentioned that his most
substantial problem is with the mouse, *not* the keyboard, a point which
you entirely ignored.  Telling people your opinions on their keyboard
setup does not accomplish anything productive or constructive when their
keyboard configuration is just fine and the mouse causes them pain.

>> I can't resist (although I probably should :-/ ) adding that I've only
>> ever encountered C-n, as anything other than next-line, when using a
>> graphical web browser and, in those cases, it doesn't bring up a "new
>> document".
>
> Hum? I no unstand.
>
> Do u mean to say, that as far as you know, pressing Ctrl+n invoke a
> next-line command in web browsers?

He means that it doesn't create a new document.  In graphical web
browsers it typically opens a new browser window, frequently viewing
your home page.  Similar to a new document, yes, but not the same thing.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.