Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:08:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 23, 12:05 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> > Yes. Though that doesn't constitute a good argument against Untitled
> > for replacement of *scratch*.
>
> Of course not.  I never mentioned scratch.  I just said that this can't
> be the solution.  (Why did you bring it up?)

I brought it up because in this sub thread, it is one of Alan's point
against my criticism about scratch, that emacs must have something
open. I said no, then you added more comments (quote: “Correct. ...
However ...”), then i gave more detail about the whole situation. I
mentioned that this does not constitute a reason against my comments
of *scratch* because that's Alan's original point, and your addition
can be construed to support his point.

As you know, newsgroup is a pretty much a free-for-all ground for
pissing fight among tech geekers. I'm trying to defend my turf!

If everyone is reasonable here, i might be too. If pissing fight and
aggressive argumentation is what i see, i try to be compatible.

> > However, as far as my experience goes, apps that require you to have a
> > window present is pretty much gone these days. Off hand i cant think
> > of a app now in Mac that requires you having at least one window
> > present.
>
> From the top of my head, System Preferences, Software Update, iPhoto or
> Photo Booth. I think it's generally a reasonable behavior for all apps
> that don't display (multiple) documents.  I think some 3rd party apps
> are inappropriately overusing this behavior.

good points.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/