buffer-offer-save variable bug?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: buffer-offer-save variable bug?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

there seems to be a bug on how the var buffer-offer-save behaves.
Accordig to its inline doc: “Non-nil in a buffer means always offer to
save buffer on exit.  Do so even if the buffer is not visiting a
file.” but it does not seem to behave that way. Possibly this is not
bug but due to my ignorance of other elisp detail...

To test this which seems like a bug to me, do this:

eval this code:

(defun new-empty-buffer ()
  "Opens a new empty buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (generate-new-buffer "untitled")))
    (switch-to-buffer buf)
    (funcall (and initial-major-mode))
    (setq buffer-offer-save t)))

then call it. You'll have a new buffer. Now type something in it. Now,
go to the menu “File‣Close”.

You'll see that emacs closes the buffer immediately without offering
save.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄