Re: emacs by voice

From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Subject: Re: emacs by voice
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:49:16 +0300

tomer wrote:
> sorry for the general question,
> Is it possible to write program code (any language) with voice into
> emacs.
An interesting question, I'd like to know, too. Not for arbitrary input but
I thought of doing M-x commands by voice while keeping the keyboard focus in
the buffer. The commands would be far easier to recognize unambiguously,
because there's a finite list of commands to begin with, with clearly
dash-separated words. This question occurred to me after seeing how much
difficulty the Vista speech recognizer had with arbitrary input picking the
most probable words in my second-language English speech, in stead. But with
Emacs or some other limited domain, things would be a lot easier.

I guess the availability depends on how good speech recognizers are
available for the platform you want to run Emacs in. Windows has commercial
stuff like Dragon Naturally Speaking, but howabout the *nix projects. Speech
recognition, like OCR and screen reading, is highly non-trivial to do very
well, and not likely to be your average hacker's pet project, though there
are always exceptions. Of course, then there's the question of having the
Elisp APIs for whatever recognizer you wish to use.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music: