Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:40:29 -0400

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:43:29PM +0200, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Simeon Nifos" <archwndas@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > Dear list,
> > I like using emacs in nox11 mode. The Eterm terminal provides a great
> > font by default I really enjoy. It is smaller and I can work on more
> > source code than I do with the misc-fixed font of Xterm. So I usually
> > run emacs  with -nw. Unfortunately there is no way to copy paste
> > something from one emacs window to a terminal or from a terminal to
> > the emacs window I am editing. This is a real headache, since one of
> > the most foundamental stuff an editor is supposed to do, is to support
> > copy and paste of text from whatsoever source to the window where
> > editing takes place.
>
> Try that:
>
> ,----
> | (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
> `----
>

> > Is there anyway I could activate this "underestimated" feature in the
> > mode I am using emacs? I apologize if this email sounds aggressive but
> > there are some things an editor is supposed to do by default and I
> > cannot understand why they are turned off in emacs.
>
> Also you should use emacs in X to have a better experience with it (with font
> also)

That's a matter of taste, but I'm with Simeon -- I really like emacs
-nw in a terminal. Could you explain what advantages you perceive for
running it under X? One advantage I see for emacs -nw is that emacs
automatically has the same look/feel as other terminal sessions and
terminal-based applications such as mutt. In fact, mutt looks
extremely similar with its red mode-line equivalent, which is nice
since mutt spawns emacs to compose emails, which brings up a second
advantage -- the virtually instantaneous start up time of

emacs -nw -Q -l essential-elisp-only-file.el

FWIW my attempt at a minimalist gnome/emacs aesthetic is as follows: I
never place any icons on my "desktop", keep all menus etc invisible,
and set the background to some suitable abstract artwork. Then emacs
-nw with

(tool-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)
(menu-bar-mode -1)
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(custom-set-faces
 '(mode-line ((t (:foreground "red" :inverse-video nil)))))
;; admittedly that's a pretty amateur way of making that setting...

run in gnome-terminal with a semi-transparent black background is
devoid of anything except the mode line text and the buffer contents,
and reveals darkened and non-distracting artwork behind emacs. The
font is selected via gnome-terminal, but I like the system
(ubuntu)-wide default.

DAn

--
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison