Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: Copy Paste in no-x11 mode (emacs -nw)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:22:43 +0200

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 06:06:40PM +0300, Simeon Nifos wrote:
Dear list,
I like using emacs in nox11 mode. The Eterm terminal provides a great
font by default I really enjoy. It is smaller and I can work on more
source code than I do with the misc-fixed font of Xterm. So I usually
run emacs  with -nw. Unfortunately there is no way to copy paste
something from one emacs window to a terminal or from a terminal to
the emacs window I am editing. This is a real headache, since one of
the most foundamental stuff an editor is supposed to do, is to support
copy and paste of text from whatsoever source to the window where
editing takes place.

At least under KDE, Shift-Insert pastes the content of the clipboard;
to copy though I have to use the mouse to highlight (which
automatically inserts it onto the Unix-style clipboard for me).
Put in those terms, the problem is then how to get M-w to also place
the item into the system clipboard (for -nw), I would much rather do
that than to have to reach for the mouse.

Cheers,
Jonathan.

P.S. Of course, one *could* run a gnu-screen session which has got
it's own copy-paste features that are completely keyboard
controllable, but that is not what you were asking for.