Re: Emacs Shell Ansi Colors

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Re: Emacs Shell Ansi Colors
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:48:53 +0200

2008/9/29 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>:

> Am 28.09.2008 um 23:19 schrieb Thierry Volpiatto:
>
>> ,----
>> | (autoload 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on "ansi-color" nil t)
>> | (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
>> `----
>

> For me
>
>        (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
>
> is enough ...
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> There's no place like ~
>                – (UNIX Guru)

Hi,
And thanks for your suggestions. I am puzzled since I gave both a try
(actually one of them is precisely the same recommendation from the
wiki page), but the problem stays the same.
>From the web
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ansi-color.el
I read

;;; Commentary:

;; This file provides a function that takes a string or a region
;; containing Select Graphic Rendition (SGR) control sequences (formerly
;; known as ANSI escape sequences) and tries to translate these into
;; faces.
;;
;; This allows you to run ls --color=yes in shell-mode.  In order to
;; test this, proceed as follows:
;;
;; 1. start a shell: M-x shell
;; 2. load this file: M-x load-library RET ansi-color RET
;; 3. activate ansi-color: M-x ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on
;; 4. test ls --color=yes in the *shell* buffer
;;
;; Note that starting your shell from within Emacs might set the TERM
;; environment variable.  The new setting might disable the output of
;; SGR control sequences.  Using ls --color=yes forces ls to produce
;; these.
;;
;; If you decide you like this, add the following to your .emacs file:
;;
;; (autoload 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on "ansi-color" nil t)
;; (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

So it looks like there could be a problem with the TERM environment
variable (but do not ask me what this stands for).
I suppose (hope?) this is a one-liner for somebody really
knowledgeable about emacs.
Kind Regards

Lorenzo