window-height function lies! (was: How to know the value of a non intera

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: window-height function lies! (was: How to know the value of a non interactive function?)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:58:51 +0100

Anders Wirzenius <anders@no.email.thanks.invalid> writes:

> type
> (window-height)
> in the buffer and press C-xC-e

> Or in the *scratch* buffer, and only there, C-j.

> With `M-:' you can evaluate arbitrary lisp code which has access to the
> current environment (buffer with point and mark, window, etc.) where you
> hit `M-:'.  So in your case
>
>   M-: (window-height)
>
> should do the trick.

Thanks to Anders, Peter and Tassilo for their help.

But, the remarkable result is that, the value returned by window-height turns
to be *false* when the buffer contains a line longer that the screen width (a
line that continues on the following line).  Besides, window-height fails in
info buffers and TeX mode buffers, that contain chapter and node titles with
bigger characters.

This is probably related to the malfunction of the
`scroll-preserve-screen-position' variable and of all lisp codes (pager.el,
scroll-in-place.el, etc.) that want to keep point `in place' when scrolling
(see my thread on the matter).

The problem seems to me to be quite a serious one.  Comments (and possible
solutions) welcome upon this matter.

Thanks
Rodolfo