Re: Changing pointer shape in Windows

From: Rick Mohr
Subject: Re: Changing pointer shape in Windows
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:39:04 -0400

I will enter a bug as you suggest for the I-beam pointer.

Are you saying it's no longer an option to use the "arrow" pointer over text?

Regarding what part of a character you point at to select it, I think the Emacs
behavior makes sense with the old arrow pointer + "box" cursor but doesn't make
sense with the new I-beam pointer + "sliver" cursor. Highlighting an entire
character (the box cursor) rather than the space between characters (the sliver
cursor) suggests you are selecting a character rather than the space between
characters, so pointing at any part of the character is consistent.

I prefer the box cursor because it's easier to find on the screen and I always
use a fixed-width font. I tried the following unsuccessfully to use the box
cursor in Emacs 22:

(setq initial-frame-alist
      '((top . 1)
        (left . 470)
        (width . 148)
        (height . 72)
        (cursor-type . 'box)
        ))

Is it no longer an option to use the "box" cursor?

-Rick