text properties in tex mode

From: Kostas Oikonomou
Subject: text properties in tex mode
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 11:40:01 -0400

Hello,

I use Emacs's plain TeX mode (i.e. not AucTeX), with font-lock deactivated. (And Emacs 22.3.)

I'd like to be able to change the background color of a piece of text to, say, yellow, by selecting it with the mouse, and then doing Edit -> Text Properties -> Background Color.

However this fails with a message "Face ((:background yellow)) not configured for latex mode".
How do I get around this?

Thanks very much.

                                                Kostas