Re: switch off font lock mode with strings

From: Stephan Ripke
Subject: Re: switch off font lock mode with strings
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 05:11:53 +0200

Hi Xah,
thanks for your answer. I thought, nobody understands me. (Tear). You got me totally right, only that I so not care about awk mode in my awk script. The problem is, that my awk-script sometimes has 100 lines, and then all of them are not highlighted.
Any highlighting would be great! But since the awk-mode is also highlighting a string in a whole, it makes no differences.
If you have no other idea, I will have a look for multi-mode.
thanks,
Stephan

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
On Oct 5, 5:38 pm, "Stephan Ripke" <ri...@mpipsykl.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I really love emacs, but I am not a Pro-User, so can you please help me out
> of this problem:
> I write many shell-scripts. When there are gaps to fill between output of
> the one and input of the other program I use awk-scripts in between. Since
> the awk-scripts are enclosed in single quotes, I loose the fontification of
> these (sub)-scripts, because I write these scripts directly in the parent
> shell-script and not in another file.
> Since an editor like "gedit" is starting his fontification on every single
> line, I start to use gedit for my scripts. But I don't like it. Is there a
> possibility to stop emacs from seeing single quotes as a
> fontification-marker. Or can I ask emacs to begin the fontification on the
> beginnig of every line, or is ther some other way to solve this problem.
> Many thanks, I hope that was not too much text...
> Stephan

if i understand u correctly, u are saying like u have a line like the
following inside a shell script:

cat x-log_200_GET.txt | grep '\.html HTTP' | awk '$12 ~ /stumbleupon
\.com/ {print $12 , $7}' | sort | sed s/refer.php/url.php/ | uniq -c |
sort -n -r > x-referral_stumble.html

and you want the awk part syntax highlighted?

am not sure there's a easy solution. There are few programs that does
multi-modes, so that you can set it up such that inside single quotes
it does awk mode... but i never tried them and i figure it'll take
quite some time to get it to work. Search on emacswiki on multi-mode
or similar name. There are a few of them.

alternatively, you can define a key such as F6 that toggles between
shell-mode and awkmode. So, when u are working on the awk part, press
the key. When you are out, press again. This is what i do when doing
html code mixed with php, css, _javascript_ etc.

Somethnig like:

(defun toggle-awk-shell-mode ()
"toggles between awk-mode and shell-mode"
(interactive)
(let ((didSwitch nil))
(when (eq mode-name "awk-mode") (shell-mode) (setq didSwitch t))
(if (and (eq mode-name "shell-mode") (not didSwitch)) (awk-mode)
(shell-mode))
)
)

(global-set-key (kbd "<F6>") 'toggle-awk-shell-mode)

 Xah
http://xahlee.org/

Dr. med. Stephan Ripke
c/o Chris Weller