Re: Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Using "apps"-key as a second Meta-key
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 22:23:19 -0500

Hans-Christian Mick wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to have the "apps"-key as another Meta-key.

I've tried this:

(global-set-key [apps] 'Meta)

...But of course it didn't work. I've also tried the same with "\M"
or  "Esc" instead of "Meta", but Emacs always  tells me, the apps-
definition is void...

Has the Meta-key a special command name? Or is there a totally
different way to get this result?

I hope that's not a complete newbie question, but I didn't find
anything on the internet or the news archive about it..

Thanks in advance!

This works for me and Xah:

(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-apps-to-system    nil
      w32-lwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Left Windows
      w32-rwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Right Windows
w32-apps-modifier 'hyper) ;; App-Menu (key to right of Right Windows)

But it works even better if you modify the registry with KeyTweak* to effect the bottom row layout:

Win Alt Ctl Spacebar Ctl Alt Win Apps

or

Super Meta Ctl Spacebar Ctl Meta Super Hyper

* Provides (in part) about the same functionality in MS Os as Xmodmap in Gnu-Linux.

Ed