Re: Going to line n, column m

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Going to line n, column m
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:20:59 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

>>> `goto-line' and `move-to-column'
>>
>> They don't work ;-)
>>
>> If you don't believe me, try:
>>
>> RET C-u 40 M-x move-to-column RET
>
> To increase your credibility please show how to reproduce it ;-)

Yes of course.  Just type again:

RET C-u 40 M-x move-to-column RET

and once more the cursor will stay on column 1.

Want to reproduce it yet another time?  No problem, just type again:

RET C-u 40 M-x move-to-column RET

and once more the cursor will stay on column 1.

> More seriously, this might be a bug, but it works for me using CVS Emacs 23.

It's not a bug, it's a feature of move-to-column.  Hence my
implementation of goto-xy.

"Remember, Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom;
Wisdom is not truth; Truth is not beauty; Beauty is not love;
Love is not music; Music is the best." -- Frank Zappa