Re: Going to line n, column m

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Going to line n, column m
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 23:08:19 +0200

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:

But even if he did, move-to-column is capable of doing so.  There's no
need for an elaborate (and error-prone) re-implementation.
By now, it should be clear that it IS NOT, RIGHT NOW capable of doing
so, but WILL BE able to do it, when emacs 23.0 will be released.
What are you talking about?  I'm using Emacs 22 and it works "right
now".  Why would you even assume I'm talking about Emacs 23?

emacs-version "22.2.1"
             ^ C-u C-x C-e
(progn (move-to-column 79)(insert "x"))x
                                       ^ C-x C-e
It just doesn't work here.
Perhaps it depends on the major-mode, but I've never seen it work as
you say.

It depends on the second argument.

-ap